Dr. M. Kwiatkowski
Local ERSPC protocol foresees:
- Mail invitation (males 55-70 years old).
- Upon written informed consent – randomization 1:1 to active screening or to control arm.
- PSA determination in the active screening arm.
- If a) PSA is above 3ng/ml
or b) PSA is between 1-3 ng/ml and, additionally, free-to-total PSA ratio below 20%:
Digital rectal examination (DRE) and transrectal ultrasound (TRUS) guided transrectal sextant biopsy (incl. DRE/TRUS lesion directed biopsy if applicable) will be performed.
- Otherwise return to re-screening after 4 years and 8 years.
The first screening round started in September 1998.In September 2006 the third screening round has started and is currently in course. In time period of study recruitment between September 1998 and August 2003, more than 10,000 men have been randomized.
Local topics of interest:
- New prostate tumor markers for detection and staging (human glandular kallikrein 2–hK2)
- Value of free PSA for earlier prostate cancer detection.
- Evaluation of complex PSA (cPSA) for earlier prostate cancer detection.
- Performance of PSA-testing in various clinical settings.
- Performance of various PSA Assays.
- Quality of life after prostate cancer diagnosis and treatment.
For additional information: